Forums » Health & Wellness » Injury Prevention

Groin pain only when walking

(6 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by gardenmentor
  • Latest reply from katmatwhereuat

Tags:

1. Recently I've been getting groin pain when walking my dog. About 10 minutes into walking, my right inner groin gets very tight (short aductor?). I stop and do a couple of lunges on either side, which usually stretches it out. Sometimes I have to do the stretches a few times to loosen things up. Stretching before walking doesn't seem to help. And, the "lock up" feeling only happens when I'm walking. note: I have pretty good hip flexiblity, but I do know my right is more "open" than my left.

Anybody have any ideas on healing or what this might be? I'm guessing I have a slight injury that I aggravate when walking, and its aggravating me!

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Is it your groin or your hip flexor? Do you wear orthotics? Do you have high arches or flat feet?

If you have high arches, then you may be experiencing pain in your hips associated with high arches that are not properly supported. This is one of my problems, and my doctor said he sees a lot of people with apparent hip problems that actually are caused by high arches.

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. The seize up happens in the groin. Since taking my first golf lesson, sometimes the pain will "radiate" to my outer hip. But when it tightens during walking its all in the groin, and this had started happening before the golf experience.

Oh: I don't wear orthotics & have pretty flat feet.

(Sorry to hear you have hip issues. Its no fun at all!)

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. I would get this checked out by a doctor. Then you can determine where to go from here.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. I would suggest getting a referral to a sports physical therapist for a trigger point massage. I just went through three weeks of agony misdiagnosed with a pulled muscle, put on anti-inflammatory meds and muscle relaxers, all of which did nothing. I haven't run, or even taken long walks, in those three week. Upon a verified referral, I tried the PT and he worked magic. I'm two days out from the massage and about 80% healthy...the best I've been in weeks. I was able to walk 2 miles at a brisk pace two days in a row without a recurrence. Good luck, pain stinks.

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. It kinda sounds like hip bursitis but you need to have that verified by a doctor. I was diagnosed with bursitis about 12 yrs ago when I aggrivated my my right hip (probably from jumping on a trampoline w/daughter). That was the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced. I counldn't even twist sideways from my hips. I had to use mini side-steps to turn around. I ended up irritating my left hip trying to compensate the pain in my right hip. I went to physical therapy but it didn't really help. I ended up having to farm out my daughter and lay on the couch for 48 hours. The only time I was supposed to get up was to use the bathroom. I wasn't allowed to get up and get my own glass of water. It worked. Since then I get a flare up every once and awhile and it is very annoying. forward "running" movements don't bother me but heavy lunging type movements or deep squats and rotating my hip outward in certain ways hurts. If I sleep on my right side I have to find a happy spot. My pain now is interior by my groin/top area. If I press down really hard with my thumb and root down in at the hollow to the side of the top of my leg I can massage the area and its kinda give a "numb" comfort. Sorry if this post is really long. You might want to do a search on the web with key words: bursitis/hip/groin etc. Maybe also try tendonitis. Hope this helps. PS: I also have flat feet.

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

Member Sign In

Sweat 365 is dedicated to supporting your every-day fitness, no matter what your level and no matter what your goals are.

We'll deliver you inspiration to move more - every day.

At Sweat 365 you can easily keep track of your workouts, blog about fitness and life, and connect with other athletes. You'll find training guides for races of all distances, disciplines, and levels of competition. Yes, even walking a race is competing!. Sign up here free